Yesterday I ranted a little bit about the stresses of the old 9-to-5 (actually the not-so-9-to-5 since my shifts are never that consistent). These past few weeks have definitely had their share of stress, for work-related reasons and otherwise. But ya know, I'm trying to remain positive. So I'm going to focus on how these weeks have reminded me of important ways to relax and take the weight off! And I am going to share these stress-removing methods with you all :) Some may seem obvious, but I'm sharing them anyway, because everyone can use a reminder to take a moment to relax.
- Deep breaths. This is like the CTRL-ALT-DEL function for your body and will put you into Force Relax mode. You know. Shut down some non-essential applications. Restart your system, if you will.
- Brew up a hot beverage. Hop in a hot bath or lie down with a cozy blanket. Turn off all the lights. Light a few really great-smelling candles. Grab a cuddly pet if you have one handy (only if you're not taking a bath though, let's not make it weird). And THEN:
- Listen to calming music. I like picking a playlist on Songza or 8tracks. That way the down time can double as music discovery time. Heyy-oooh multitasking!
- Rant. Write. Journal. Blog. Find a good friend and talk their ears off. Send a far-away friend a lengthy facebook message. Find an old sheet of paper and cover it with words and scratches and angry drawings. Then rip it to pieces later if you're feelin' it. Get it all out, girl.
- If the lying around just isn't working for you, get moving. I prefer long walks and yoga. Both are excellent activities for burning off steam, and both allow you to reflect and meditate on your shitty life (and hopefully help you realize it isn't so shitty after all!)
- Furiously cleaning your room/ house/ apartment also allows you to burn off steam and take your mind off things. Plus it's productive.
- Go for a long drive if you have a full tank. Take a journey. Let your mind wander as far as your car. Spread love and peace across the land.
- Watch a favourite movie or crack open a new book. Allow yourself to leave your current woes behind and enter a different realm. Just come back to this world after a few hours so we don't have to throw you in the loopy bin. Escapism, bros.
- Shop. This is actually horrible advice. Stress shopping is not a joke. But if you're a shopaholic and therapy shopper like me, it really does work. But don't do it. It's an expensive coping method. Unless there's a sale.
- When all else fails, sleep it off. It really is true that nothing ever seems as bad after a good night's sleep. Let your present self have a nice deep slumber and let your future self handle things. Future Self is up for the challenge, I promise.
(I stole this picture from WeHeartIt! Oops! Is this frowned upon in the blogosphere? Am I doing this wrong?)